26 maart 2024

Director: Agnes Varda

 

Filmmaking career:  Varda's filmmaking career predates the French New Wave, but contains many elements specific to that movement.  While working as a photographer, Varda became interested in making a film, although she stated that she knew little about the medium and had only seen around 20 films by the age of 25. She later said that she wrote her first screenplay "just the way a person writes his first book. When I'd finished writing it, I thought to myself: 'I'd like to shoot that script,' and so some friends and I formed a cooperative to make it." She found the filmmaking process difficult because it did not allow the same freedom as writing a novel; she said her approach was instinctive and feminine. In an interview with The Believer, Varda said that she wanted to make films that related to her time , rather than focusing on traditions or classical standards.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten